V. I. George was born in 1961 and completed BE in Electrical Power Engg. (1983) Mysore University, M.Tech (1987) in Instrumentation and Control Engg from NIT, Calicut, and Ph. D (2004) in ‘Robust Control of Dynamic Systems’ from NIT, Tiruchirappalli.
He joined MIT, Manipal as a faculty in the department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering in 1985, 1992 promoted as a Reader, 2004 as a Professor and Head in the Dept. of Instrumentation and Control Engineering (ICE). During his tenure as HOD of Dept of ICE started two postgraduate programs, one, in ‘Control systems’, and the other in ‘Astronomy and Space Engg’, which was later renamed as Aerospace Engg, and started the Control Instrumentation System Conference (CISCON) in 2004 at MIT, Manipal.
- Responsibilities at Jaipur: During the period 2012 -13 deputed to Manipal University Jaipur (MUJ) with the duties of Registrar, Director and Controller of examinations as additional responsibility at MUJ, also served as the Member of the Academic Council and the Board of Management at Manipal University, Jaipur.
- On 2022 March 2nd onwards holding the responsibility of Professor and Head, EEE Dept Mar Baselios Christian College of Engg and Technology (MBCCET) Peermade. In 2023 February onwards appointed as Principal of MBCCET Peermade.
- Elected as National Vice president of Systems Society of India during 2005-07 and National Vice president of ISSE 2014-17. The Fellow of Institution of Engineers India, Fellow of Systems Society of India, and Senior Member of IEEE, Fellow of Indian Society of Systems for Science and Engineering (ISSE) and Life member of ISTE. Nominated as an executive committee member for IEEE Control System Society Bangalore Chapter in 2020 and elected executive committee member for Automatic Control & Dynamic Optimization Society (ACDOS)
- Member of the Board of studies for the various academic programs like M.Tech. Aerospace Engg, M.Tech Control systems, and B.Tech Instrumentation and Control Engg at Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE), Manipal.
- Guided projects/theses for many undergraduate (45) and postgraduate students (25). Under his mentorship, nine research scholars have already been awarded Ph.Ds, and currently guiding another three more research scholars. (Total no. of Ph. Ds guided is 12). Evaluated Ph. D theses for many Universities (15) in South India.
- He has also published 67 Scopus indexed publications and 180 (e-prints) technical research publications in the peer-reviewed national/ international journals and conferences. His publications two times received ‘subject award’ and one time the ‘certificate of merit’ from Institution of Engineers India. Organized many workshops/FDPs and conferences for the benefit of faculty and students. During the Golden jubilee year of MIT Manipal, in 2007, hosted the prestigious 31st National Systems Conference (NSC 2007) and he was the convener.
- Chaired technical sessions in prestigious conferences and was in the advisory committee of many national/international conferences in India and abroad. He was a reviewer for the journal IEEE transactions on Education and IEEE conferences. Two times organized 2-week AICTE/ MHRD FDPs at MIT Manipal. On Jan 19-23, 2021 also organized five days ATAL FDP on Control systems and Sensor Technology.
- He got a research grant from ISRO and DST and conference grants from many Govt. funding agencies such as NAL, DRDO, ISRO……
- Awards Received: the Vikram Award instituted by the “Systems Society of India” Fellow award from ISSE and Distinguished Alumnus award from MIT, Manipal. In 2016, Received faculty award for the contribution and achievement in Control Systems Instituted by Venus International Foundation.
- In 2012, authored a textbook on “Digital Control Systems: published by Cengage International Publishers New Delhi is an approved textbook for AICTE model curriculum. Currently, he is writing another book in the area of “Control Systems”. He is the editor of a book Advances in Control Instrumentation Systems(https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-981-15-4676-1Springer). Also, the editor for a couple of conference proceedings. In 2019 onwards held the post of editor of the Journal “Manipal Journal of Science and Technology” (MJST). He filed a patent in Non-prehensile based object Manipulation. Approved Research Guide of MAHE Manipal.
- Since 2017, he involved in the online evaluation of AICTE Quality Improvement Scheme (AQIS) proposals such as STTP, RPS, FDP etc.
- Dr George visited St. Petersburg Russia, Italy, London, Singapore, Malaysia, Dubai, Bahrain, Thailand, China and Australia for Technical conference presentations (10 countries).